Thread: No-contract, phone-independent GSM providers?

Phone
    Nokia 3600 Slide
    Carrier
    AT&T (Bleh)
    Feedback Score

Question No-contract, phone-independent GSM providers?

Once upon a time I had a great regional GSM provider (no contracts & unlocked phones), but AT&T gobbled them up. So I'm in the market for a new provider. I live in western North Carolina and I'm looking for a prepaid/no contract GSM service that doesn't try to tie you to the phones they sell. The best I've found so far is Simple Mobile, but I've heard some iffy reviews about them so I'm hesitant to go that direction. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile had plans that had no long-term contract and you could use any GSM phone. These plans may still be available but not advertised. Check on the T-Mo forum.
    Donald Newcomb

Phone
    Nokia 3600 Slide
    Carrier
    AT&T (Bleh)
    Feedback Score
    Heh.

Well, thanks for the tip. But...

I went to T-Mobile's site to look for SIM-only plans. The first thing I see is an announcement that AT&T just bought them.

There is now only one GSM network in the entire country. And that network belongs to AT&T.

I think I'll go sit in a corner and quietly cry to myself now.

Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Liminal View Post
    I went to T-Mobile's site to look for SIM-only plans. The first thing I see is an announcement that AT&T just bought them.
    Yeah. I noticed that just after I posted the reply to your question
    There is now only one GSM network in the entire country. And that network belongs to AT&T.
    Well, it hasn't happened yet. If T-Mobile still offers contract-free plans, ATT can't force you onto one after the merger.
    I think I'll go sit in a corner and quietly cry to myself now.
    You and me both.

Feedback Score
    I too am looking for such a GSM provider as I have no interest in becoming a member of the AT&T family (currently T-Mobile). I did a search yesterday and none of the GSM carriers that I found via WikiPedia offered service in my area. I did find a MVNO that looked interesting (Consumer Cellular), but I am not interested in another monthly bill -- I like being able to pick my GSM handset, add minutes and pay for what I use.

Cincinnati Bell looks interesting as they are NOT AT&T and have instructions on their site for setting up a couple Apple phones. Prepaid expiration is not as generous as T-Mobile though, since minutes are good for 1 year once you were a "Gold" customer. But alas, they only support persons in Cincy and Dayton as their "home" area.
    Last edited by er86; 03-22-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Feedback Score
    I'm just hoping that FCC has some BALLS for once and kicks this gsm disaster waiting to happen firmly, swiftly and right where it hurts. No Tmobile and ATT merger this century, thank you.

Carriers
    SprintPCS
    Feedback Score
    Actually, the T-Mobile Everything Plus no-contract plans are still available. They are not on the website, but go into a corporate store, and you can find them.

Brent

Feedback Score
    Did you look into Walmarts Family Mobile? Dont know how long they will be around since they use the T-Mobile network but at least they have the Walmart name and clout behind them. $45/mo unlimited talk/text, GSM phones, SIM based, pay for data as you go...works for me so far!