Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LG900g on AT&T, low or no signal at times

Feedback Score

LG900g on AT&T, low or no signal at times

Anyone notice if Net10 AT&T phones get similar bars as other AT&T phones in the same area?

My 900G runs on AT&T. I have 0 bars at work and No Signal on the home screen, I have to change to Flight Mode, others with AT&T phones get a good signal. My Verizon phone gets 1-2 bars at work and 3-4 at my home, where the 900g varies from 0 to 3.

With my landline cut off this will be my only phone, so it may be a reason for me to return the 900g and stay with Verizon.

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    I had a Lg300g that worked very well on Net10's AT&T network.

I'm not sure if it's your phone or the network. Are you sure you're on AT&T?

What are the first 6 numbers on your sim card?

Did you buy the phone at a store or on Net 10 site?

It's possible that you have a Tmobile Sim, which could be a big difference in coverage to AT&T in your area.

Feedback Score
    I bought the phone from Best Buy, and checked this out before I bought it to be sure to get AT&T. The box serial # indicated ATT. Ths sim # starts with 890141, again AT&T. And when I send a text msg to email it comes from (mynumber)@txt.att.net. So the phone has to be working with AT&T.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Why did you not buy a Net10 phone for Verizon service if it appears to be superior?
    A Net10 phone on AT&T will have the same, if not better coverage then one directly from AT&T. Thats because of all their roaming agreements not available with AT&T themselves. You need to be comparing coverage with both phones side by side for the comparison to be meaningful.

Feedback Score
    I am comparing phones side by side. Here at work my coworker gets 1-3 bars on her ATT Iphone, my 900G gets "no signal".

I got the 900G for the phone's desgn and capabilities. The two qwerty Samsung Verizon Net10 phones dont do it for me, they do not have the same app capability, the slider 351c has a much smaller screen, the 355C keys are smaller, and both cost 2-3X the $29 I paid for the 900G.

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    Is it possible that the friend with the iphone is picking up 3g signal through AT&T?

I don't know if Lg900g is 3g capable or just gsm?

From what I have heard in some areas AT&T only has 3g coverage.

You could take that lg 900g back and get another one and see if it works better.

Or see if someone has a non 3g phone on AT&T and compare with that.

Phone
    Yes
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mommusic View Post
    Is it possible that the friend with the iphone is picking up 3g signal through AT&T?

I don't know if Lg900g is 3g capable or just gsm?

From what I have heard in some areas AT&T only has 3g coverage.

You could take that lg 900g back and get another one and see if it works better.

Or see if someone has a non 3g phone on AT&T and compare with that.
    These are good suggestions.

You can't really compare the signal indicator of an iPhone with that of an LG 900g -- it's like comparing apples and lemons, so to speak. (Unless, of course, the iPhone in question is a first-gen iPhone, which uses the same GSM radios as your LG; in other words, no 3G in either phone.)

If your co-worker's iPhone is indeed a first-gen, then the most likely answer is that AT&T is shunting your Net10 900g onto its weaker, less-capable, less-desirable, covered-in-dog-turds 1900 MHz band. While it's possible that it could be a simple matter of signal attenuation because of a faulty antenna in the 900g, my guess is that it's the former; never attribute to technological incompetence what can be explained by corporate malice.

A much more likely scenario is that your co-worker's iPhone is a 3G or later model (iPhone 3G, 3GS, or 4), which indicates that the only AT&T signal in that area is WCDMA (3G); the 900g isn't equipped to handle a 3G signal, but the three latest versions of the iPhone are.

My bet is that if you find someone at work with an EDGE or GPRS AT&T phone (either on AT&T, Net10, Tracfone, doesn't matter), they'll experience the same problem that you have. What does this mean, in practical terms?

Stick with what works. If that means Verizon, so be it.

Feedback Score
    I noted signal levels in various areas the past few days. In general its comparable to my Verizon phone. Work seems to be in a low signal AT&T area, confirmed by the map on the AT&T site. In the parking lot the 900G get 2 bars, 1/2 mile away it's got 4.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tocthecat View Post
    Anyone notice if Net10 AT&T phones get similar bars as other AT&T phones in the same area?

My 900G runs on AT&T. I have 0 bars at work and No Signal on the home screen, I have to change to Flight Mode, others with AT&T phones get a good signal. My Verizon phone gets 1-2 bars at work and 3-4 at my home, where the 900g varies from 0 to 3.

With my landline cut off this will be my only phone, so it may be a reason for me to return the 900g and stay with Verizon.
    I just bought this phone as an "upgrade" to my lg500g. So far I have had no signal, even in areas where my older and less 'techie' phones have full signal. I'm not sure if this is a defective phone or a common issue with this model. So far I am still in the activation process but I don't think it will ever activate if I have no signal I foresee a return in the near future and oh the hassle of dealing with net10's customer service...

Carrier
    Aio Wireless
    Feedback Score

Re: LG900g on AT&T, low or no signal at times

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S Blaze on AT&T using HowardForums
    Last edited by Tim-of-NC; 11-21-2012 at 03:32 AM.

Carrier
    Aio Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-of-NC View Post
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S Blaze on AT&T using HowardForums
    Ignore that I just seen how old this thread was.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blundering_fool View Post
    I just bought this phone as an "upgrade" to my lg500g. So far I have had no signal, even in areas where my older and less 'techie' phones have full signal. I'm not sure if this is a defective phone or a common issue with this model. So far I am still in the activation process but I don't think it will ever activate if I have no signal I foresee a return in the near future and oh the hassle of dealing with net10's customer service...
    Compare the SIM numbers for both phones to see if they are for the same service provider.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The 900G is indeed not 3G capable, so the possibility exists the OP was in an area where AT&T was curtailing its 2G service, although whether that is/was 1900 MHz or 850 MHz in that particular area is anyone's guess.

On the other hand, I've had a friend with a 900G that ended up being defective for different reasons, so that's also a possibility as well.

Feedback Score
    Thx for the suggestion - It turns out the phone didn't display the bars of service till it was activated, and actually has better reception than the lg500g. And since I actually got someone who knew what they were doing it took about 30 minutes to get the phone activated & minutes switched over.

Phone
    iPhone 5c
    Carrier
    Pageplus Cellular 4G LTE(ME)/Cricket(GF)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; Huawei-U8665 Build/HuaweiU8665B037) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I used to have one of those phones and it always got weak reception but that was due to At&t's EDGE network being so weak here. All edge phones get crappy service here. I would lose service just holding the phone. I would upgrade to a 3G phone of some kind because they get alot better service. The Samsunf S390G would be worthy of attention.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast