Thread: No Straight Talk service out of area - anybody else?

Feedback Score

No Straight Talk service out of area - anybody else?

Hiya,

Recently, my wife and son were camping about 200 miles northwest of our home near Marion, IL. That is far south Illinois.

The whole weekend they were at the campsite, they had no service. Wife has ST, son has Trac-Fone.

They said they lost service as they got out of our area, and regained it is as they were on the return trip. The extended family that was camping with them had service the entire time, though none of them are ST users, they are all on national brands like Verizon, ATT, etc.

This phone is supposed to be a CDMA phone on Verizon's network. I am a former Verizon customer and used their service all over the country for years until I stopped traveling last year. I don' think I ever had a situation where it didn't work, even in rural AZ and the hills in Pope Cty, IL. Yes, I have had it spotty and drop calls when big hills stopped the signal, but it was easily regained.

The coverage map for ST looks like the Verizon coverage map.

Just this week, my brother was trying out ST, to see how it was before he gave up Verizon. He used it near Chicago for a few days, then took it on a trip to Door County, WI, which is north of Green Bay.

No service there, and no service as he was returning to Chicago going through Milwaukee. No service going through Milwaukee!! How can that be? Surely there are tons of users in Milwaukee.

Anyone got a clue? This has not happened to me, but I have not taken the phone out of area yet, either.

Feedback Score

Maybe found out why

It looks like Verizon has a degraded coverage area for pre-pay -there is a HUGE hole in SW IL and Door Cty, WI, among others areas.

When you select voice and messaging (full monthly billed price) on the coverage type and refresh the map, poof!, those holes fill in.

http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/Straight_Talk

I am in a rural area now and it works well, guess you have to get full price plans if you want max coverage.
    Last edited by Scabbard; 10-16-2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Fix link

Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Verizon has no prepaid service in Door County Wisconsin. Verizon roams off od CellCom up in that area and you have to have a post paid Verizon account to get service there.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scabbard View Post
    It looks like Verizon has a degraded coverage area for pre-pay -there is a HUGE hole in SW IL and Door Cty, WI, among others areas.

When you select voice and messaging (full monthly billed price) on the coverage type and refresh the map, poof!, those holes fill in.

http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/Straight_Talk

I am in a rural area now and it works well, guess you have to get full price plans if you want max coverage.
    You are correct, Verizon has several levels of coverage, all at different prices. CDMA (Verizon) STs do not roam, but I believe the GSM (AT&T - T-MOBILE) ones do roam.
    The Tracfone should have roamed onto other available service providers towers. Put your (or anyones) wireless phone number at this Amber Alert site and it will show the phone`s assigned service provider (you do not have to complete the sign up):
    https://www.wirelessamberalerts.org/index.jsp

Carrier
    Strayed Talk
    Feedback Score
    Neat trick (the wirelessamberalerts thing).

►►► U.S. Ranks Dead Last In Overall Social Spending (Read the comments section too!)

►►► The Scam Behind The Rise In Oil And Food Prices

THINK for yourself!
    QUESTION authority!
    Realize that ALL governments LIE!
    Don't be one of the sheeple!

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Verizon ST works pretty well in WI. Milwaukee is very covered, that is for sure. I can confirm this. I am there every day.

T-Mobile is not so hot around here outside of Milwaukee.

AT&T is ok, it has it's good and bad spots, same goes for Sprint.

Like going to Whitewater (University) Cricket drops out first, then T-Mobile, and then AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon still hang on for signal and I really never had a problem. US Cellular is very good too.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Feedback Score
    The coverage map on Straight Talk is not correct.

Indeed its Verizon Prepaid with no roaming. Check on Verizons site for the real map. Lots of holes in it.

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Another issue may be simply in network roaming
    And you may need to update your prl before you go to
    Some of these areas. Also even though CDMA St talk doesn't
    Roam Tracfone CDMA does roam. If there is a CDMA
    Signal to be had you can generally call with a CDMA trac
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    What model phones is the OP using for both ST and Trac?

Phones
    LG VX5400
    Incredible2
    LG GS170
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mo prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scabbard View Post
    FWIW, the hole in the Door County area extends east on SR 29 past Wausau and all the way to Abbotsford. The city of Wausau is covered, but there is a large area surrounding Wausau in all directions, that is not.