Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is Verizon Android 2.2 "3G Mobile Hotspot" a "free" service?

Phones
    HTC Incredible
    HTC Incredible
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Is Verizon Android 2.2 "3G Mobile Hotspot" a "free" service?

Hi Guys, as you know, Verizon included several new apps as part of their Android 2.2 upgrade. After the update, my HTC Incredible now has the "3G Mobile Hotspot" app. Is this app a free app where it only consumes from the "unlimited" or tiered data plan, but costs nothing more per month to use? So if I run it, it wont misteriously charge my account $30 or something simply because I ran it.

Else I would stick with EasyTether or another one of the root-required Wireless Tether apps.

Your input is much appreciated.

PS: I did search the forum, but I didn't see a specific post for Android and this app. I hope it's not a double post.

Hattiesburg, Mississippi, United States, 108528479168913, Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    Phones
    Moto Droid
    Samsung Rogue
    BB 8703e
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It costs money to use it. I believe it's 19.99 a month.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Phones
    HTC Incredible
    HTC Incredible
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    How does it get activated? Do I have to subscribe online (at www.verizon.com) or simply starting the app and using the service automatically charges my account?

Carrier
    Verizon 1400 A/T Mins
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It is $20 a month for 2GB. You can activate it online or by calling Verizon. Also be advised........let's say you have the hotspot turned on on your phone and you are surfing using your laptop. And you are streaming music or doing whatever on the handset.....any data you use ON THE HANDSET while hotspot is turned on, comes out of your 2GB allotment.
    1000th Post on March 27th, 2007 @ 11:09PM.
    2000th Post on July 30th, 2007 @ 9:05PM.
    3000th Post on Sept. 17th 2009 @ 8:20AM.

NOOB PHOTO BLOG

MY EBAY FEEDBACK

MY HOFO FEEDBACK

Phones
    TBolt, DroidX, Incredible, Droid1, Omnia II, HTC Imagio, BB Tour, BB Storm,Touch,Dare,Voyager
    BB Pearl,Samsung FlipShot, Juke, SCH-U620
    LG enV, enV2, LG Chocolate, Motorola E815 & V710
    Carriers
    VZW - Headsets:
    Feedback Score
    And just to add to what IcyHot said, you can play around with the app without fear of charges.

You can turn on the app on your phone, set up the various options, and connect from your laptop. But if you try and surf the web from your laptop, you will just get the VZW page telling you to subscribe - unless you have subscribed, of course.

Carrier
    Verizon 1400 A/T Mins
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Yes, it kinda gives you an idea of how fast your web experience will be when it loads up that subscription page. I would be OK with everything, except I call BS on the fact the data you use on your phone while the hotspot is turned on comes out of that 2GB bucket. If they wanna make it 5GB and use those rules, then fine. But 2GB is already kinda skimpy to begin with, and now it becomes less because data on the phone comes out of that bucket. Just my thoughts....

Phones
    HTC Incredible
    HTC Incredible
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the great input. So, if I use a 3rd party app, I can save the $19.99 per month, but I still have to worry about the bandwidth block my phone has been alloted. Or, do the 3rd party apps appear to Verizon as if it is normal phone data usage?

Phones
    TBolt, DroidX, Incredible, Droid1, Omnia II, HTC Imagio, BB Tour, BB Storm,Touch,Dare,Voyager
    Carriers
    VZW - Headsets:
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Icyhot1966 View Post
    Yes, it kinda gives you an idea of how fast your web experience will be when it loads up that subscription page. I would be OK with everything, except I call BS on the fact the data you use on your phone while the hotspot is turned on comes out of that 2GB bucket. If they wanna make it 5GB and use those rules, then fine. But 2GB is already kinda skimpy to begin with, and now it becomes less because data on the phone comes out of that bucket. Just my thoughts....
    I'm not quite following.
    But, when the 3G Hotspot uses data, it is using the username phonenumber@dun.3gvzw.com
    Your phone and any other app that uses data is using the phonenumber@3gvzw.com username. That is how they are able to have the data coming out of 2 different "buckets". Of course on the Inc it is quite simple to change that tethering username so that everything comes out of the unlimited "bucket".

EDIT: and, yes Cobalt2112, every app including pdanet or easytether will use the unlimited phone's data. There is no cap on that - not 2gb, not 5gb, no cap.

Phones
    HTC Incredible
    HTC Incredible
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Awesome.. I'll be doing my thing tonight with some tool which got "re"-release and updated to v3.21

Phones
    Carriers
    VZW - Headsets:
    Feedback Score
    And just to add, no one should have any issues with tethering, so long you don't go crazy with the phone's data. And we're tethering in exactly the same manner as we do with winmo, feature phones, and blackberrys - so also take comfort that Verizon isn't seeing anything new.

And as to how much data to use: Not sure what exactly constitutes "crazy", but if you used 50gb of data for two months, I would think Big Red would take notice.

Phones
    HTC Incredible
    HTC Incredible
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I totally agree with you Humpa. I would use it as a means of remote support and casual surfing. Those who tend to abuse the system tend to screw it up for the rest of us because of their selfishness, lack of courtesy and poor interpretation of the terms of use.

Phones
    IPHONE 4s, 3GS
    IPHONE 4s, IPHONE 3GS,
    Carrier
    NET10
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    OK QUESTION? i just got mifi but paying $60.00 a month is way to much to use for my ipod, can i use the hotspot from my droid x for the ipod as same as the mifi, and $20.00 is alot cheaper!!!!

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...ab=AllFeedback

ebay feedback above

WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION

Phones
    Carriers
    VZW - Headsets:
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaverizon View Post
    OK QUESTION? i just got mifi but paying $60.00 a month is way to much to use for my ipod, can i use the hotspot from my droid x for the ipod as same as the mifi, and $20.00 is alot cheaper!!!!
    Yep.
    Of course you cannot use data and make calls at the same time though. But you already knew that.

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Verizon? Something free? I had a good lol at that.

Phones
    IPHONE 4s, 3GS
    IPHONE 4s, IPHONE 3GS,
    Carrier
    NET10
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpa View Post
    Yep.
    Of course you cannot use data and make calls at the same time though. But you already knew that.
    Yea i know i want it for only my ipod

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast