Thread: Different types of stores

Feedback Score

Different types of stores

It seems to me employees and agents would have the most knowledge about this topic.

I never really thought about it before since I'm dealing with Verizon only every year or so but after reading here I now realize there can be a big difference between stores.

I guess I always knew some stores had Verizon employees and some were not but I didn't realize that different types of stores had different abilities to do things.

Can someone briefly state what the difference between:

Corp Stores
    Retailers
    Premium Retailers
    Indirect Sellers

And where do online stores fall into the mix?

I'm up for an upgrade and trying to decide the best option to get an incredible.

The Costco (indirect?) employee spent time bad mouthing the incredible and tried to push me into a m. droid. ( before telling me it wasn't available )

The manager of the premium retailer by me was real nice and I'm on a waiting list with him.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyll
    It seems to me employees and agents would have the most knowledge about this topic.

I never really thought about it before since I'm dealing with Verizon only every year or so but after reading here I now realize there can be a big difference between stores.

I guess I always knew some stores had Verizon employees and some were not but I didn't realize that different types of stores had different abilities to do things.

Can someone briefly state what the difference between:

Corp Stores
    Retailers
    Premium Retailers
    Indirect Sellers

And where do online stores fall into the mix?

I'm up for an upgrade and trying to decide the best option to get an incredible.

The Costco (indirect?) employee spent time bad mouthing the incredible and tried to push me into a m. droid. ( before telling me it wasn't available )

The manager of the premium retailer by me was real nice and I'm on a waiting list with him.
    1. No matter where you get your phone, the phone you are getting is an authentic Verizon Wireless product, with warranty fully intact. Rate plans are the same wherever you go.

2. "Corporate" stores are what they sound like. They are owned by, staffed, inventoried by, and managed by Verizon Wireless. Phone pricing is dictated by Verizon Wireless, and reps have very little leeway (if any) in moving or negotiating those prices. These stores are probably the most "full service" stores availale, as they can make any and all account changes needed, can take bill payments via an in-store kiosk, etc...

3. "Premium Retailers" are privately owned and operated, exclusive Verizon Wireless retail outlets that sell the same phones and rate plans as a Verizon "corporate" store. The difference is that the store is owned by an independent owner/operator who is "licensed" to sell VZW products and services; they are held to the same training and business practice standards as VZW corporate stores, including return policies, phone setup, knowledge, rate plan advice, etc, etc.... Premium Retailers are free to set their own prices on phones, free to buy phones from any vendor, besides VZW, and free to say what they want about any particular phone. Because we hold ourselves to VZW training and advertising standards, VZW allows us to leverage their name and signage at our stores.

4. "Big Box Retailers" include your Best Buy, Radio Shack, Wal Mart, etc...they are multi-carrier dealers who carry a limited number of phones for around 5 different carriers or so...prices tend to be cheaper, but free services are usually limited, as the person selling you the phone is not a VZW exclusive entity. As an FYI, if you buy a phone from a big-box retailer (like Best Buy), be prepared to deal with Best Buy for any account-related issues that arise as a result of the sale; neither corporate store reps or premium retailer reps will be eager to help you after you rollled the Best Buy dice and figured out that the person who activated your phone had minimal training and practice. A corporate store rep my be "forced" to help you because you have a VZW phone, but most "VZW retailers" will tell you to take a hike since you actively denied them the sale.

Hope that helps,

JP
    Low price, Excellent Service, High Quality. Pick any two, but you never get all three.

Feedback Score
    Very helpful thanks.

My experience at the Corp Store 2 years ago was neither good nor bad.

My wife had both a lousy and a great experience at our Premium Retailer.

I didn't have a positive experence with the costco store... it was obvious their goal was to sell me the phone they had in stock over the phone I wanted.

After reading the 'stupid customer' thread here I swore I'd just order online but couldn't resist stopping by the local premium retailer here and had a positive experience... so I'll likely go through them unless it looks like the incredible delay will be significantly longer then direct through verizon.

I also have issues getting my employee discount tied to my account. Can a premium retailer deal with issues like that or do I have to go through Verizon directly?

Andy

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That's the major problem with the big boxers; it's ironic that they are usually "huge" stores, but their stock is usually limited because they are selling every major carrier. So like you said, they are more likely to try to push you into the selection of phones "they have", not necessarily the one you want or need. It's also not uncommon for them to try to push you into a different carrier altogether, seeing as how all carriers pay more commission on new lines than they do renewals.

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyll
    Very helpful thanks.

I also have issues getting my employee discount tied to my account. Can a premium retailer deal with issues like that or do I have to go through Verizon directly?

Andy
    A premium retailer should have the employee discount form that you could fill out - - again, if you decide to make your purchase with said retailer, there is a good chance they will fax the form in to corporate VZW for you.

Phones
    Droid.
    Blackberry Tour
    LG 8300
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    do employee diso**** online, SO much easier, and faster to appear on account

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy SIII,HTC Rezound(donated),HTC Thunderbolt(sold),Droid a855(long gone)
    Omnia i910(retired)
    Dare(Donated)
    Carriers
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    make sure the account is in your name, seen people before try and didn't know an "aol" had to be done first
    Indirect Premium Agent