Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: is it tethering if

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Assimilated on Aug 7 1993
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted ( Samsung Omnia: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

I found an app on handago called Wifi Storage that turns my Omnia into a wifi hotspot supposedly.
    before I buy it I want to find some reviews on it and make sure thats not considered tethering
    question is if Im using my phone (like the Pre) as wifi for another device,such as my Wii is that tethering? subject to the penalties for illegal tethering?
    thanks
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    That would be tethering, at least in my opinion. You're sharing your phone's internet connection with another device. I think regardless of whether you're doing it with a cable or via wifi, it is tethering.

However, given that VZW is allowing this type of tethering at no additional cost with Palm devices, VZW probably won't care as long as you're not using > 5 GB a month. Still, I think it is against the current TOS.

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted ( Samsung Omnia: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

if it wasnt free on the Pre Id not have even asked because tethering is tethering,I agree. its kinda gray to me since its available for free on another phone
    thanks.
    i was just thinking if one child is on the desktop and my wife wants to check her email via the Wii type scenario,not play online games and such

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I think if it's the Pre you're using then you're fine. Any other device then you might have a problem. I don't know why Verizon continues to charge for tethering but at the same time make tethering like services on the Palm devices free. I guess that's one way of pushing out more Palm devices.

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    Blackberry 8310
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainBikerMark
    if it wasnt free on the Pre Id not have even asked because tethering is tethering,I agree. its kinda gray to me since its available for free on another phone
    It's not gray at all. 3G Mobile Hotspot is free specifically with the Pre. The TOS are very clear about prohibiting tethering without a tethering plan.

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    On the Pre, you use their app for hotspot mode. I assume the app includes a mechanism to enforce the 5 GB limit.

Phones
    Samsung Fascinate
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It's free on the Pre because their sales are crap and they're trying to help save Palm.

Phones
    Motorola Droid X (current), Motorola Driod A855 (2009-2011), Blackberry Storm 9530 (2008-2009)
    SMT-5800 (2008), LG-VX9900 enV (2006-2008)
    LG-VX9800 "V" (2006), Motorola T730 (2004-2006)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless since 1997 (PrimeCo)
    Feedback Score

thanks.
    i was just thinking if one child is on the desktop and my wife wants to check her email via the Wii type scenario,not play online games and such
    I thought you got crappy coverage where you lived... has VZW fixed this?

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Feedback Score

no. I use wifi at home now but Im not always at home. just weighing my options and checking options. Im leaning toward leaving VZW in Aug due to data policy on new phones.I would still use the Omnia as a pda and the app allows me to move files via wifi to my desktop and from desktop to phone plus making the phone a hot spot. I can move Office stuff back and forth,pdf,etc.
    once I get out of my neighborhood my coverage and data speeds are excellent. my connection is now excellent at home but speeds are still sub dialup speeds during peak times. 2 am Im up to about 500kbps but 2 pm its about 20-50kbps
    Last edited by MountainBikerMark; 04-21-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Phones
    S. Galaxy Nexus
    Motorola Droid RAZR
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless/Alltel Plan
    Feedback Score
    When asking about Android phones a rep specifically told me that I could use "tethering" apps but that Verizon would in now way provide support for my use of them. I know tethering on say a droid with an app is in a gray area but the reps seem to be implying that so long as you do not go crazy with data usage it is okay to enter this gray area. I know the TOS say otherwise but I don't feel like Verizon is out there to make examples of anyone or make anyone stop at this point in time, anyone have more information on this?

Also the free tethering for the Palm Pre is listed as a limited time only. Does this mean that if I bought one today with the free feature that Verizon might start charging someone under contract for it at some time after this "limited time promotion"?

Carriers
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by firemandan9
    When asking about Android phones a rep specifically told me that I could use "tethering" apps but that Verizon would in now way provide support for my use of them. I know tethering on say a droid with an app is in a gray area but the reps seem to be implying that so long as you do not go crazy with data usage it is okay to enter this gray area. I know the TOS say otherwise but I don't feel like Verizon is out there to make examples of anyone or make anyone stop at this point in time, anyone have more information on this?

Also the free tethering for the Palm Pre is listed as a limited time only. Does this mean that if I bought one today with the free feature that Verizon might start charging someone under contract for it at some time after this "limited time promotion"?
    I doubt it because that's their big selling point for Palm phones now, and they would really look bad if they started charging for it again.
    It is technically tethering but I use WMWifiRouter on my phone as many others do and nothing's happened. I saw a bill where someone had used ~20GB of data and they said nothing. As long as you don't use it excessively I don't see why not.

Carrier
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by firemandan9

As long as you don't go over 5GB when tethering, you should be fine. I have to use about 2.5GB of data last month (my cable service was out for 2 days), and verizon didn't charge me anything extra. I wouldn't suggest to tether that much every month though, as verizon might detect the unusual high usage.

Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (out there: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Droid Build/ESE81) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

no. I use wifi at home now but Im not always at home. just weighing my options and checking options. Im leaning toward leaving VZW in Aug due to data policy on new phones.I would still use the Omnia as a pda and the app allows me to move files via wifi to my desktop and from desktop to phone plus making the phone a hot spot. I can move Office stuff back and forth,pdf,etc.
    once I get out of my neighborhood my coverage and data speeds are excellent. my connection is now excellent at home but speeds are still sub dialup speeds during peak times. 2 am Im up to about 500kbps but 2 pm its about 20-50kbps
    If you disconnect the phone service, how are you going to make it a hot spot?

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Feedback Score

the hotspot is the present,but in the future when I go to another phone I can still sync via wifi for docs,pics,etc.
    sorry I wasnt more clear

Phone
    VZW Galaxy Nexus / Google Nexus 7
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think the big deal was modifying your phone (the DUN hack)... PDA net is still in the Android market, as well as tethering apps available for various other smart devices... but it may still be against the TOS.

The palm hotspot has to be provisioned on the account.. it's a feature code that auto-populates when you add the pre onto an account... so it's a whole different animal. It's technically the same as the BBAC feature, just it shows as '0.00' in cost, where as BBAC has a monthly charge.

My Feedback

Free eBook, worth a read.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast