Thread: External Hard Drive Problems

Phones
    Nextel i95cl
    Nextel i830
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score

External Hard Drive Problems

I have a Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 and I have a terrible problem with it so I wanted to see if the good people at HoFo would be able to assist me.

This hard drive requires the use of a power could to turn on and a usb cord to connect to the computer.

When it was working, the light on the front of the drive would stay solid and would be recognized by Windows immediately.

Now, when its plugged in, the light only flickers and no movement is felt from the driving such as spinning.

The power cord is 12 volts/2amps and looks like a laptop cord with the box in the middle and a polarized plug, both of which are the exact same one that came with it when it was brand new.

I called Seagate, the company now handling Maxtor products and while they did mail me another power cord with the same output settings made by a differet company, they were not much more help than that.

This is where I am at my witsend with this and I don't know what to do at this point.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

-Joel930

Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    I have several drives from different manufacturers. Right now, I don't recall which power supply came with which drive. They are all 12 vdc and I use which ever one fits. As a last resort, inside the box there is a standard EIDE or SATA hard drive. You can open the box and take the drive out and either put it into another USB case or mount it in the computer.
    Donald Newcomb

Phones
    Nextel i95cl
    Nextel i830
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb
    I have several drives from different manufacturers. Right now, I don't recall which power supply came with which drive. They are all 12 vdc and I use which ever one fits. As a last resort, inside the box there is a standard EIDE or SATA hard drive. You can open the box and take the drive out and either put it into another USB case or mount it in the computer.
    Where would I find the correct usb case/mount with the correct adapters and what does something like that cost?

Phone
    Samsung Captivate, Samsung Mythic
    Carrier
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel930
    Where would I find the correct usb case/mount with the correct adapters and what does something like that cost?
    They use to easily have HDD drive enclosures in stock at most Best Buy (along with the former CompUSA, Circuit City stores) and some Office Depot or Staples stores. Now you can only find them on their online stores. (At least here in Hawaii where they don't seem to stock them.)

Average retail cost was around $30 for an external enclosure and depending on which type of connector (SATA, IDE) you will need to know which one you have to get. Some have both connectors included while some you need to specify when you order.

You'll need to open your case to find out what type of connector the internal drive uses to get the right case to get to put the drive into.

3.5inch HDD Enclosures on CompUSA Online

Or Google Search "3.5 inch HDD Enclosures" and see what comes up.

If you feel that you have to correct some of my posts for my capitalization of some of my words, then just bear with it. It's just a discussion forum where some may be limited by time to answer in well-versed and eloquent sentences.

I already got a PHD (Plain High School Diploma) so ignore my style of writing and I'll ignore your ignorance.

Subject: You can read this-trust me!

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

When asked if I see the glass half empty or half full, I responded I see just a glass of water.
    Now you know how I think.

Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    After you learn if it's an EIDE or SATA drive, you can order them from many places. For example, here's one from Tiger Direct. Normally the only tool you need is a Phillips screwdriver.

Phones
    Nextel i95cl
    Nextel i830
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Ok then. So it seams as simple as opening the case up, removing the hard drive, determining whether its SATA or IDE, and then just ordering a new case to get it going.

I will work on opening the case up and take some pictures and post progress.

Thanks DR.

Phones
    Nextel i95cl
    Nextel i830
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Here is a picture of the insides of the drive.

Phones
    Nextel i95cl
    Nextel i830
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    I was unable to detatch the other connector.

Phones
    Nextel i95cl
    Nextel i830
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    How do I know which is the best case to buy on Tigerdirect?
    Infact, it doesn't even have to be a case-as long as it does the job.
    Some of them say that they are only made to work with Windows XP.
    I am running Vista 32bit.

Carrier
    Rogers Communications Inc.
    Feedback Score
    ebay...

do a search for "3.5 IDE Enclosure" sort the listings cheapest first.
    order the first one that has the power cord included ~$11

make sure it has the power cord included. i got the same enclosure and it works perfectly fine.

Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    Here is a picture of the insides of the drive.
    That's an EIDE hard drive. See the "big" data connector? A SATA drive has a tiny little connector.

Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    I was unable to detatch the other connector.
    There should be two connectors; one data and one power. The power connector normally has yellow, black and red wires. Which one is "the other connector"?

Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    How do I know which is the best case to buy on Tigerdirect?
    Infact, it doesn't even have to be a case-as long as it does the job.
    Some of them say that they are only made to work with Windows XP.
    I am running Vista 32bit.
    Vista will be fine. What they are saying is that you shouldn't try it with Win95 and will probably have problems with Win98. The two key things are that the drive is 3.5" and EIDE. Be sure the case is USB2, not some old, left over, stock of USB1. Other than that, pick the color you like best.

BTW, if the hard drive is bad, none of this will help. Also, since your PC is Vista, I assume the hard drives inside are SATA. Were it me, at this point, I'd pop open my desktop and connect that drive to the internal EIDE bus and power supply. This would require that I find and set a little black jumper on the back of the drive, so that it would work as the EIDE slave. If your motherboard has only a SATA interface, this would not work.

Phone
    Samsung Captivate, Samsung Mythic
    Carrier
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb
    There should be two connectors; one data and one power. The power connector normally has yellow, black and red wires. Which one is "the other connector"?
    Looks like "the other connector" is the 4 pin power connector on the right in the picture.

BTW, if the hard drive is bad, none of this will help. Also, since your PC is Vista, I assume the hard drives inside are SATA. Were it me, at this point, I'd pop open my desktop and connect that drive to the internal EIDE bus and power supply. This would require that I find and set a little black jumper on the back of the drive, so that it would work as the EIDE slave. If your motherboard has only a SATA interface, this would not work.
    If the PC has a CD/DVD/Writer then it should still have an IDE cable. The HP that my Sister bought last year (before Windows 7 came out) had a EIDE cable for the CD/DVD drive and it had an extra connector on the ribbon cable. It also had two unused 4 pin power connectors. As for the jumper settings, most don't need to be set master/slave anymore.

Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mango808
    Looks like "the other connector" is the 4 pin power connector on the right in the picture.
    Right. It must have a right-angle plug. I thought it was pulled out but facing down. He just needs to pull harder. Some of those plugs are pretty tight.
    If the PC has a CD/DVD/Writer then it should still have an IDE cable. The HP that my Sister bought last year (before Windows 7 came out) had a EIDE cable for the CD/DVD drive and it had an extra connector on the ribbon cable. It also had two unused 4 pin power connectors. As for the jumper settings, most don't need to be set master/slave anymore.
    Yeah. I don't have anything modern enough to have SATA. All mine are EIDE, so I didn't think about the CD/DVD. There are jumper instructions on the drive but I can't read them. There also appears to be a jumper installed at the back, so in any event, he won't have to hunt for one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast