Thread: P2K Commander Issue with V3m

Feedback Score

P2K Commander Issue with V3m

Hello. I'm new to this forum, but I'm a PC tech and have been for years. I thought I'd mention that so you know that you're dealiing with someone that's fairly savvy with technology. However, I cannot seem to figure out why P2K Commander is not working with my V3m. Here's my stats:

[edit - I forgot to list the phone model]

V3m
    Verizon Wireless
    WinXP Pro, SP3
    IE7
    P2K Commander 6
    Motorola USB drivers 4.1
    latest version of Motorola Software Update - just updated this week!
    P2K drivers 2.9

I also have the latest versions of Motorola Phone Tools and BitPim.

I've tried so many things that I don't even know where to start. However, here's a curious thing: BitPim does NOT officially connect to the phone. However, I can view the system folders. I was even able to pull pictures off of the phone. Unfortunately, I cannot put anything on the phone via BitPim. Actually, it would let me copy an mp3 to a couple of different folders, but I could not find the mp3 when I searched for it on the phone. Even after power cycling the phone. What's even weirder is that P2K Commander DOES recognize the phone and connects to it. However, P2K Commander locks up if I try to view a folder on the phone no matter how I configure it. I've tried running it with MSU running, without MSU running, and both with and without MPT running. Thank the lord I didn't pay for MPT because that software is absolutely useless! It only allows me to backup my contacts and calendar. Here's another interesting fact: P2K Commander worked (albeit it was a pain) when I was running Win2k. It was an older version of the software. 4.x I think. But the only thing I've been able to do since upgrading to WinXP is charge the phone via USB cable. This information might be significant: I read something about Motorola Composite USB Device needing to show up in Device Manager. Well, Motorola USB Device shows up when I run P2K Commander, but the only place I see the word Composite is under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. It generically says, "Composite USB Device"

Any suggestions? I'll be happy to try anything or tell you that I have tried it already --and perhaps even try it again. Questions are also welcome.

-David-

Feedback Score

over one hurdle only to hit another

OK. I finally got the mp3 on the phone by using an old version of P2K Commander (version 3.3). Pretty darn sad that the latest version is less compatible.

Now, my problem is that I cannot set the sound as my ringtone. It has the exact same attributes as a ringtone I put on the phone a couple of years ago: 128kpbs, 22KHz, mono, file name is one word, 6 letters, and all lower case. Actually, the only difference is the length of the name. The old ringer that I put on there (that works) is 13 letters. Everything else is identical. I removed all tags from the file's properties just as I had before. I remember having difficulty getting the old ringer working, but don't remember what I did in addition (if anything) to what I have indicated above. Please help!!

Feedback Score

Solution

You have to wonder about free tech support when you have to go find your own answers.

Here's the solution:

If you don't already have them, download Motorola Software Update (current version is fine) and P2K Commander 3.3 (must be this version).

Open MSU and wait for it to detect the phone

Open P2K Commander

Click on the Options menu. The only thing that you should really need to change is P2K Tuning. Select Standard Commands and click OK.

Now, select P2K Mobile Phone in the drop down menu above the right pane.

Dig down as follows: Motorola -> Shared -> Audio

Select the folder where your mp3's are located in the left pane.

Right-click on each file and select copy. You might be able to select multiple files and select copy, but I haven't tried that.

Click Re-read above the right pane.

WAIT!!!! Don't get happy and go unplugging the phone just yet!!

Go back up to the 'a' folder on the phone.

Delete tmptnedb.db and click re-read (make sure it was really deleted)

Delete mytonedb.db and click re-read (again, make sure it was really deleted)

NOW, you can unplug the phone, but you're not done yet.

Before you'll be able to use your mp3's as ringtones, you must power cycle the phone.

DONE! Have fun!

Feedback Score

Thanks!

Big thanks to dllazarus!

I was struggling with the same problem where P2kCommander would freeze when trying to access the Verizon RAZR V3m phone file system the first time. I was unable to locate the recommended 3.2.6 or 3.2.2 because the hosting web site no longer exists. It appears that the versions that I tried using (6.0 and 4.9.X) aren't compatible. After switching to version 3.3.0 which I was able to find, I was able to access the V3m file system without problems.