Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: What newer phones can I activate on an older Free & Clear 1500 plan?

Feedback Score

What newer phones can I activate on an older Free & Clear 1500 plan?

I am eligible for an upgrade on my very generous older Sprint Free & Clear 1500 minute plan. My plan has data added on along with unlimited text and some other features.

Sprint has advised me that I can only activate lower end phones on this plan such as the LG Rumor 2 and comparable models. I believe the most technologically advanced handset I can use is the Palm Centro according to Sprint.

They said this rules out the Hero, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Diamond, Instinct S30, Instinct HD, Palm Pre and other higher end handsets. Sprint also said I can't even use the Palm Treo Pro on my line which is just an upgrade from the Palm Centro. That pissed me off because I was very interested in the Treo Pro.

Any ideas or confirmation on whether or not this is true or which phones I can activate without changing my plan?

Thanks.

Phones
    Epic
    Epic
    Airvana 2
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Don't change your plan. Call back and get another rep. They are trying to make you change your plan. Your plan is fine. The hero and instinct line of phones is what will require a plan change. All others are fine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by solorun
    Don't change your plan. Call back and get another rep. They are trying to make you change your plan. Your plan is fine. The hero and instinct line of phones is what will require a plan change. All others are fine.
    and the Pre

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Sprint needs to come up with an alternative to this policy, or risk loosing more customers.
    Dan
    TX, USA

Phones
    Tour
    EVO 4G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    why when this is true for all carriers and Smartphone, its even true for Verizon and certain dumbphones.

Who are they going to lose customers on this....Verizon ATT when they have the same policy and charge even more.

If the OP add a Data pack they use have anything outside the Pre/Android/Instinct...

Another question why do people want a smartphone without data, it defeats having a smartphone.

Phones
    SGS2
    SGS2 (me), iPhone 4S (kid1), SGS2 (kid2)
    iPhone 5 (spouse)
    Carriers
    SPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hominid7
    Sprint needs to come up with an alternative to this policy, or risk loosing more customers.
    I think that Sprint thinks that it can use the WebOS and Android phones as sticks to beat people off their legacy and SERO plans.

I think that Sprint is wrong.

I think that Sprint's gains in new customers will be more than offset by losses in legacy customers who just get fed up and leave.

But we will see.

I also think that Sprint may also be at least passively allowing misinformation to circulate among its reps such as what the OP reported being told; but then again, it's may be just Sprint's typical lack of training/information of its agents. After all, as I'm pretty sure most people here know, for any question that isn't absolutely dead-simple, if you ask five Care agents, you'll generally get at least three or four different answers.

What's the old saying? "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity." Still, I wonder.

But to the OP, I'd advise just ordering any phone except a WebOS or Android phone via Websales and just swapping it onto your line via the website (sprint.com/activate) when you get it. It's generally better to avoid talking to *2 people if at all possible. Learning this fact is a key to making your experience with Sprint a good one.
    Last edited by huntm856; 10-21-2009 at 09:56 AM.

---
    Sprint (family plan): SGS2 (me)|iPhone 5 (spouse)|iPhone 4S (kid1)|SGS2 (kid2)|LG Optimus S (backup line)
    ---
    ATTM (work): Nokia 6350
    ---
    ATTM PayGo: Nokia N95-3
    ---

Phones
    SGS2
    iPhone 5 (spouse)
    Carriers
    SPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lennyj17
    why when this is true for all carriers and Smartphone, its even true for Verizon and certain dumbphones.

Who are they going to lose customers on this....Verizon ATT when they have the same policy and charge even more.

If the OP add a Data pack they use have anything outside the Pre/Android/Instinct...

Another question why do people want a smartphone without data, it defeats having a smartphone.
    Verizon and ATTM don't require entire shared plans to add data to *all lines* just because the account holder wants to upgrade *one line* to a handset that has a data plan requirement.

In many people's cases, this makes a significant difference in their bottom line MRCs.

I would concede, though, what Sprint is doing is a lot like what VZW did maybe a year or two ago when it instituted a policy that legacy plans that allowed for MOU data would be ineligible for certain new handsets and had to be upgraded to new plans that billed data by the byte in order to have those phones added to them.

Still, Sprint is not VZW, does not have the brand loyalty/leverage that VZW does. I doubt that Sprint's attempts to bend over its legacy customers in a fashion similar to what VZW did/is doing will meet with the same success.

But again, we will see.
    Last edited by huntm856; 10-21-2009 at 09:57 AM.

Phones
    SGS2
    iPhone 5 (spouse)
    Carriers
    SPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by solorun
    DON'T CALL *2 TO GET A PHONE! Order the phone and activate the phone via the web. You'll be much happier if you do.

Again, *2 should be used as a last resort, or if you have issues, such as technical issues, that you know will be immediately routed to at least tier 2.

Anything that can be handled via the OLAM, eCare, and/or chat is better dealt with that way. And for things like ordering phones or making plan changes that can be done via the OLAM without any human interaction at all, that is definitely the way to go.

My preferred methods of dealing with Sprint, in descending order:

OLAM (NO HUMAN INTERACTION!)
    eCare (generates a paper trail)
    Chat (also generates a paper trail, but the reps don't seem to be as good)
    *2 --> tech support (the only way to deal with a technical issue, but not bad: Sprint's tech people are generally pretty good)
    *2 --> account, billing, sales, etc. (the very last option, which should only be used if there is no other way to accomplish what you need to accomplish)
    Last edited by huntm856; 10-21-2009 at 10:05 AM.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Vodafone Ireland
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lennyj17

im on att since the cingular days and they let me keep my plan. data is just addons

Check out my buyer/seller feedback: My HoFo Feedback

Proud AT&T customer with a grandfathered plan!

Phones
    Tour
    EVO 4G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The OP didnt indicate that they were on a Family plan.....

Also the only phones that require ED are Android/Web OS/Instinct....OP listed WM phones as needing ED that not true...

Phones
    Epic
    Epic
    Airvana 2
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by huntm856
    DON'T CALL *2 TO GET A PHONE! Order the phone and activate the phone via the web. You'll be much happier if you do.

Again, *2 should be used as a last resort, or if you have issues, such as technical issues, that you know will be immediately routed to at least tier 2.

Anything that can be handled via the OLAM, eCare, and/or chat is better dealt with that way. And for things like ordering phones or making plan changes that can be done via the OLAM without any human interaction at all, that is definitely the way to go.

My preferred methods of dealing with Sprint, in descending order:

OLAM (NO HUMAN INTERACTION!)
    eCare (generates a paper trail)
    Chat (also generates a paper trail, but the reps don't seem to be as good)
    *2 --> tech support (the only way to deal with a technical issue, but not bad: Sprint's tech people are generally pretty good)
    *2 --> account, billing, sales, etc. (the very last option, which should only be used if there is no other way to accomplish what you need to accomplish)
    I want a paper trail. I have never ordered a phone online or put in for a rebate. I like flat pricing and have gotten it so far. Now I have data. The op does. I start off my converstion with---I don't want to change plans. I just want to buy the phone. Then when it comes and I call technical support and tell them all i want is an esn swap. I do not want to change plans or features. You've got to head them off at the pass. The better bet for this guy was to do research first to see requirements. Then order the phone. He can still do it either way. online or over the phone. Imagine them telling me with a diamond what they told him. I'd be like what??? Also I was typing fast this morning and forgot the pre with my earlier response.

Feedback Score
    so I'm guessing the Palm Treo Pro is ok? I wonder if I can activate these handsets online.. We'll see.. last time I had my phone swapped from a Palm Centro to a Palm Centro.. (replacement).. I lost like 3 features on my plan.. and it took forever to get them back.. I wasn't even advised that a phone swap for the same model would cause that.. the retail store rep never bothered to tell me I would be losing those features.. and it doesn't make any sense anyway.. I got most of them back.. but it wasn't easy..

Phones
    Sanyo MM-9000
    Sanyo M1
    HTC Mogul
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I'm surprised no one's called this out yet:

The only phones that currently require an Everything Data plan are the Instincts, Palm Pre, and HTC Hero.

You will be fine activating any Windows Mobile phone onto your old Free and Clear plan (Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Treo Pro, etc).

Phones
    Tour
    EVO 4G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    ^^^^I stated that twice!!!!

Bottom line is the big 4 carriers are pushing data hard and it will be a cornerstone of their plans going forward...

So either you adapt or make other arrangements it's that simple.

People complain that Sprint's stupid to force ED family plans on Hot must have Phones...And this maybe true to an extent....but like I've always said Sprint would rather just have the 1 everything line rather than 1 everything and 4 voice only sub lines.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dhcpJR
    I am eligible for an upgrade on my very generous older Sprint Free & Clear 1500 minute plan. My plan has data added on along with unlimited text and some other features.

Sprint has advised me that I can only activate lower end phones on this plan such as the LG Rumor 2 and comparable models. I believe the most technologically advanced handset I can use is the Palm Centro according to Sprint.

They said this rules out the Hero, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Diamond, Instinct S30, Instinct HD, Palm Pre and other higher end handsets. Sprint also said I can't even use the Palm Treo Pro on my line which is just an upgrade from the Palm Centro. That pissed me off because I was very interested in the Treo Pro.

Any ideas or confirmation on whether or not this is true or which phones I can activate without changing my plan?

Thanks.
    As stated by SprintGuru, the only phones that require Everything Data (and as such will require you give up your current plan) are the Hero, Instinct (all versions), and Pre. There are some other key points to understand, however:

* Your plan is not compatible with any iDEN devices (such as the Nextel i-series handsets and Blackberry 8350i), Hybrids (ic series), or Nextel Direct Connect on Sprint (Motorola V950 Renegade, Sanyo PRO series, a couple of obscure Samsungs and one LG-- the 500 I think?).

* You can use any of the current Blackberry devices, except the 8350i, with your plan but will need to add a Blackberry Data Pack for $30-$40/month.

* You can use any of the PDA's, other than the Hero, Instinct, or Pre, and will not be required to add a data plan. HOWEVER, a $25/month or higher data plan OR an Everything Data rate plan are required to receive any mail-in rebates on these devices!

The reality is that you can use *almost* any Sprint CDMA device, except the Direct Connect-capable CDMA handsets, Hero, Pre, or Instinct, though in some cases-- Blackberry devices and PDA's with mail-in rebates-- you may be required to add a data plan on top of the current base rate plan, at least until such time that your mail-in rebate is paid.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast