Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LG EnV2 Disassembly Tutorial

Phones
    BB Storm2 9550 (Storm 9530 sold)
    LG Dare VX9700, LG VX8300 (Voyager and EnV2 sold)
    Carriers
    Big Red
    Feedback Score

LG EnV2 Disassembly Tutorial

Hey all, this is my third disassembly tutorial for my third LG Verizon phone. The enV 2 was similar in design to the LG Voyager that I took apart. They require both the keyboard and screen to be taken apart. To my surprise, you must take the keyboard apart in order to get to the bottom screws that allow the screen to come apart.

This guide ends were you have to desolder the connection holding the screen and front keyboard connectors together. I no longer have my soldering tools nor am I going to buy them to take the phone apart. Special thanks to Richard here in Tucson for the phone.
    Last edited by Sanch0; 08-11-2009 at 06:22 PM.

Phones
    Carriers
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    The LG Env2 VX9100 Disassembly Tutorial

WARNING - I am in no way responsible for any damage incurred while disassembling your phone. Taking apart your phone WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY OR INSURANCE. If you're under insurance or still under 1 year manufacturers warranty, I highly suggest taking your phone back to Verizon before taking it apart. Some parts cost much more than the phone is worth now, so it could be in your best interest to simply buy a new phone. If at any time you think that this procedure may be too difficult, please stop what you are doing and reassemble your phone. Thank you for reading this warning

Tools-
    You will need the following
    - 5 or 6 piece precision screwdriver set (or jewelers set). I picked up a set from the bargain bin at Sears for $1.50
    - LG EnV2 cellular phone
    - Soft cloth for your workspace
    - This guide (you could do it without, by why would you be reading this then?)

Heres your setup

Start by removing the battery from the back of the phone. Use the small flathead screwdriver, pry the 5 tops from the phone. Use the phillips screwdriver to remove the screw behind the battery

Phones
    Carriers
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    Remove the 5 screws underneath the covers you just pryed off using a small phillips screwdriver

Using your medium sized flathead screwdriver, begin prying the two pieces of the keyboard apart. Be careful not to damage the parts. I recommend starting near the USB or microSD ports. The two pieces will snap apart, you won't break them so don't worry about the cracking noise. Insert the screwdriver, twist apart, the work your way down the sides

After most of the keyboard is apart, remove the two covers at the top of the screen using a small flathead screwdriver.

Phones
    Carriers
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    Underneath those covers, you'll find two more screws. Use the small phillips screwdriver to remove them. There are two more screws on the bottom of the screen, but we won't be able to remove them until we've taken the keyboard apart

Taking the keyboard apart should look something like this. You'll see the volume rocker and camera button fall out, make sure you save this. Also make sure you're putting those screws in a safe place. You should see a connector ribbon coming through one of the hinges in the phone. Be careful not to damage this! The back of the phone should come off at this point

Phones
    Carriers
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    Set the back of the phone aside. We'll be working on the keyboard and screen for the rest of this tutorial. Looking at the back, we must separate the screen and front keys from the rest of the phone. To do that, we must remove that ribbon cable I was talking about. To do so, use the large flat head screwdriver. Place underneath the connector and twist. It should pop off very easily, no force is required

Next, we're removing the camera. Follow the same steps as the ribbon connector to remove it. The camera itself is wedged into the holder tight. Using the small flathead screwdriver, lift it from every corner. I find using the screwdriver as a lever helps. Go slowly, it will eventually come out

Camera and holder side by side

Phones
    Carriers
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    Now the keyboard connector is separated, it should come right out. If not, use the medium flathead screwdriver around the edges of the board to carefully pry it out. Now we should have access to the two screws at the bottom of the screen. They're covered with plastic and these covers I feel are unnecessary to save. Use your small flathead screwdriver to remove them. Them use your small phillips screwdriver to remove the two screws underneath those covers. Now we can use our medium flathead screwdriver to pry the pieces apart. Remember these parts click together, so use the same method above. Work your way down the sides until both pieces are apart.

Pulling apart the screen, we now see the inside of the internal screen.

Using the small phillips screwdriver, remove the four screws that hold the speaker assembly down. This will also allow us to remove the front panel.

Phones
    Carriers
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    Using your medium flathead screwdriver, pry around the edges of the screen assembly until the front of the phone comes off. You'll see the keyboard layout and keys

The rest of the tutorial isn't very well documented and left me very stumped. My guess is LG had problems with the screen and front key layout staying connected to the ribbon cable that connected to the PCB on the phone. The connector assembly is SOLDERED TOGETHER. This would make it increasingly difficult for anyone to service this phone. I've never seen this on the LG Dare or LG Voyager.

You're welcome to continue on if you'd like. There are two areas that are soldered together on the connectors which must be removed to continue. A soldering iron and desoldering braid should do the trick.

I lost the last couple of photos I took to show where the connectors are soldered. In order to remove the white keypad from the phone you must slowly peel the two apart as their is adhesive holding them together. I recommend the large flathead screwdriver, using it as a lever. Go slow as the bottom left corner of the phone under the front keypad contains the connector. Going too quickly may damage it. Putting my phone back together I realized it was loose because I could turn my phone on from the inside, but had no display, only audio.

Thank you for reading my tutorial. Good Luck!

Phone
    VX7000
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Would an Env Touch disassembly be similiar? Need to replace KB....

jv

Phone
    Sony Ericsson w300i
    Carrier
    Einstein PCS
    Feedback Score
    is there away to just change the front keybaord with out taking it all apart

Phones
    Samsung Mesmerize
    Blackberry Tour (sold) Blackberry Curve 8330 (sold) HTC PPC6800(Ebay'd) Ve20 (sold)
    LG Glimmer (traded) Samsung r500 (retired) MotoV3c (retired) Moto V710 (retired)
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by itsajoker
    Bump......Anyone??
    No dial tone, silly, it's a cell phone...geez

Phone
    LG enV2 (VX9100)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    @Sanch0
    Thanks for posting this! I used it to take my enV2 apart last night in order to attempt to fix my phone. I found that the flex cable between the keyboard and the screen on my phone is starting to break and thus the reason my internal display is no longer working.
    Time for a replacement I suppose.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    slightly off topic, but I was given a used EnV2 with a broken OK key on the external keypad. I called LG and asked how much it would cost to have them repair the keyboard. The phone was two years old so clearly out of warranty. I sent the phone in and three weeks later, although I receive absolutely no communications from LG, the phone was returned and working like it was in brand new condition. I should have made note of the serial number, I wouldn't be surprised if they just replaced the phone entirely.

Other mobile devices since 2004:
    Virgin Mobile USA MiFi
    iPhone 3GS, 3G, and two 2G
    LG enV2, and two LG VX8600
    Sony Ericsson TM506
    Blackberry 8100, 8220, and two 8130
    T-Mobile G1, and Dash
    Samsung A437
    Motorola V3, L2, F3 GSM 850/1900
    Kyocera SE47 (my first mobile phone)
    and at least 4 unmemorable GoPhones that were under $30

I hate all sigs, even this one.

Phones
    Carriers
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyv5
    Would an Env Touch disassembly be similiar? Need to replace KB....

jv
    EnV Touch would be more similar to my LG Voyager disassembly tutorial. There may be a EnV Touch tutorial, but you could use mine. I've noticed the design of these phones are very similar year to year.

Quote Originally Posted by itsajoker
    You can take the keyboard out, but good luck getting the keyboard back in. I tried this and the edges keep sticking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero77
    slightly off topic, but I was given a used EnV2 with a broken OK key on the external keypad. I called LG and asked how much it would cost to have them repair the keyboard. The phone was two years old so clearly out of warranty. I sent the phone in and three weeks later, although I receive absolutely no communications from LG, the phone was returned and working like it was in brand new condition. I should have made note of the serial number, I wouldn't be surprised if they just replaced the phone entirely.
    They gave you a new phone. The OK button problem is the most common issue these phones have. I was able to fix it temporarily, but as soon as I took my phone apart again, the problem returned. When I sold the phone, I told the buyer about the problem. It would work intermittently, then not at all.

Feedback Score
    THANKS im stock in the same area where you finish your tutorial , but thanks a lot for this it has been very easy looking your pictures thanks again
    Jennybjms

Feedback Score
    does anyone know where there is a turtorial on how to change the charge port?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast