Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Sim Restriction w/ International Text

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    64
    Carriers
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    0

    Sim Restriction w/ International Text

    I just bought a W175g Trac. Yes I know int. text is not allowed but I want to test it and got a "Sim restriction.. -45" message. Does this mean that they are also Sim restricted (just recently or since they started using GSM service)? Anyone who experienced or tested this?

    I am curious because I had a Net10 Nokia 1600 service(Nov 07 - May 08), which is a division of Tracfone, and they also stated they do not allow interntl. txt messages BUT I tried it and it worked and no sms restriction. Any Net 10 users out there able to intrntl. text currently?

    Thnx

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,696
    Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Tracfone does not allow international texts due to their high cost. I think ATT allows it at 60 cents each IIRC.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western Pa.
    Posts
    1,744
    Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you are successful at using "Premium Services" (and continue to do so) that are not intended to be used or are not part of the Tracfone service agreement, your phone service is subject to termination.

    It is all spelled out in the service agreement.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    missouri and fla
    Posts
    1,820
    Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    0
    some phones have it where you can send test to an email address, as we all know phones have an email address, even in other countries, if you send an sms to an email address it should work.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0

    LG cell NET10

    I bought a NET10 cell phone in May 08, I was able to text international numbers and call international landlines.I lost my phone last weekend and replaced it,NET10 again,same number,but this time I cant text international cells,which is bull crap in my opinion.I rang net10 today,apart from the bnot having a clue what was going on,they said the did not suport international texting which is crap coz i was doing it 3days ago.

    Just reading the threads,has anyone come across the same issue,why cuds i text 3days agao and not now

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western Pa.
    Posts
    1,744
    Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by redtractor
    I bought a NET10 cell phone in May 08, I was able to text international numbers and call international landlines.I lost my phone last weekend and replaced it,NET10 again,same number,but this time I cant text international cells,which is bull crap in my opinion.I rang net10 today,apart from the bnot having a clue what was going on,they said the did not suport international texting which is crap coz i was doing it 3days ago.

    Just reading the threads,has anyone come across the same issue,why cuds i text 3days agao and not now
    Sometimes the settings in a certain phone will allow it to do certain things that it is not suppose to do.

    I had a c139 that got free incoming text. One day I put the serial in the tech support page and it did an update. No free incoming text after that.

    When they say they do not support international text what they mean is you are not suppose to be able to send international texts. The T&C says you aren't. It also says they can terminate your service if you do.

    TEXT MESSAGING.
    The rate to send or receive a text message to another person's phone using your NET10 is 5 cents per message.

    NET10 service does not allow international text messages. Attempting to send international messages could result in service deactivation.



    I guess you are just SOL since you lost your phone.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Over There!
    Posts
    18,829
    Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    0
    I guess you could keep trying other phones and see how lucky you get??

    I rarely need to international call or text, so I wouldn't even know, or care to know about this one. I would say in the last 5 years I have sent 4 international texts, and it was to a friend who was there on vacation with a prepaid phone....
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

    School, $5,000/semester | Work

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Super Blue NoVA
    Posts
    2,052
    Phones
    Nokia 2600,6010,3585i
    LG Optimus L9,iPhone 3GS & 4S,Palm Pixi Plus
    Samsung SGH-A437,SCH-i730,SGH-T419
    Carrier
    GoPhonex3 PagePlusx2 TMo2Go Tracfone Ptel
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by redtractor
    I bought a NET10 cell phone in May 08, I was able to text international numbers and call international landlines.I lost my phone last weekend and replaced it,NET10 again,same number,but this time I cant text international cells,which is bull crap in my opinion.I rang net10 today,apart from the bnot having a clue what was going on,they said the did not suport international texting which is crap coz i was doing it 3days ago.

    Just reading the threads,has anyone come across the same issue,why cuds i text 3days agao and not now
    There may still be a way around the restriction. Many international providers allow e-mail to the cellphones like in the U.S. with addresses in the form of <cell number>@xxx.<provider>.com or similar. If that's the case with the number you want to text internationally, you could use the Net10 underlying carrier e-mail gateway to send it to it from your phone. For example if your Net10 phone carrier is at&t, just send an SMS to 36245 (e.m.a.i.l.) and include <cell number>@xxx.<provider>.com at the beginning of the message. You may want to create a template for the most common addresses so you don't have to type it every time. It has worked for me before when texting internationally. Same applies with other plans if you don't want to be charged extra for international texts as SMS to e-mail is considered domestic.
    Current:Former:
    Hi, my name is Jairzinho and I've been Wireless Contract-free for 14 years!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5
    Phones
    samsung 301g deactivated
    motorola c139
    Carrier
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho
    There may still be a way around the restriction. Many international providers allow e-mail to the cellphones like in the U.S. with addresses in the form of <cell number>@xxx.<provider>.com or similar. If that's the case with the number you want to text internationally, you could use the Net10 underlying carrier e-mail gateway to send it to it from your phone. For example if your Net10 phone carrier is at&t, just send an SMS to 36245 (e.m.a.i.l.) and include <cell number>@xxx.<provider>.com at the beginning of the message. You may want to create a template for the most common addresses so you don't have to type it every time. It has worked for me before when texting internationally. Same applies with other plans if you don't want to be charged extra for international texts as SMS to e-mail is considered domestic.

    Jairzinho ~ I had a tracfone motorola c139 and was sending and recieving texts from a friend in scotland without any problems but just bought a Samsung t301g and now can only receive texts.

    I am not sure how to do what you are saying with the 36245 and emailing by including <cell number>@xxx.<provider.com.

    Sorry, am a bit of a newbie on this. Could you clarify for me. Do i just need to ask for my friends provider?

    Or maybe i need to send the samsung back and reactivate my c139 again?

    Thank you for your help,
    Carlah

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Super Blue NoVA
    Posts
    2,052
    Phones
    Nokia 2600,6010,3585i
    LG Optimus L9,iPhone 3GS & 4S,Palm Pixi Plus
    Samsung SGH-A437,SCH-i730,SGH-T419
    Carrier
    GoPhonex3 PagePlusx2 TMo2Go Tracfone Ptel
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by carlah
    Jairzinho ~ I had a tracfone motorola c139 and was sending and recieving texts from a friend in scotland without any problems but just bought a Samsung t301g and now can only receive texts.

    I am not sure how to do what you are saying with the 36245 and emailing by including <cell number>@xxx.<provider.com.

    Sorry, am a bit of a newbie on this. Could you clarify for me. Do i just need to ask for my friends provider?

    Or maybe i need to send the samsung back and reactivate my c139 again?

    Thank you for your help,
    Carlah
    For this to work, you first have to find out from your friend in Scotland what e-mail address can be used to send e-mail to their phone (if any). This may be something like in the format of <cell number>@xxx.<provider>.com.

    If they give you such e-mail address, depending on the underlying carrier of your tracfone (tracfone GSM phones use T-Mobile and at&t mainly) there is a number you can use to send e-mails. In the case of at&t that number is 36245 (Tmobile I think is 500 but I'm not sure).

    One way to find out what carrier your phone is on, is to check on your phone menu, go to "Prepaid" and look for the "SIM serial number". If the first 6 digits are 890141 then you are on at&t, 890126 means T-mobile.

    Let's assume you are on at&t: To make things more practical, create a phonebook entry (like you'd do for any other contact in your phone) for name="Email", number="36245". Let's assume your friend uses T-Mobile UK and his number is 1234567890 therefore the e-mail address they gave you was 1234567890@t-mobile.uk.net. Now you can create a text message with this text in it: (start with the e-mail address your friend gave you and leave an SPACE after that):
    1234567890@t-mobile.uk.net Hi, it's me using this SMS to email thing. All ok? Bye
    and send it to the contact "Email" you just created.

    the e-mail address people can send messages TO your phone is:
    if your tracfone is on at&t <your number>@txt.att.net
    if your tracfone is on T-mobile: <Yournumber>@tmomail.net
    But they won't need that if they can send SMS directly to your phone. They can still use it to send messages to you from a PC though.

    Since typing the e-mail address everytime is annoying and time consuming, try to create a SMS template in your phone with that email already included in it so you just add the message after that. Check your phone manual on how to do it (if possible, I don't know). Or save an SMS on your phone with just the email on it and use it to create others from it every time.

    Hope this helps.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    83
    Phones
    Blackberry Z10
    Blackberry Z10
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I used to use NET10 and tracfone to send international text, but I don't want to put myself in trouble, so I switched to T-Mobile prepaid, for sure it allows you to send international txt, ony 10cents each send and 5cents receiving. Most of the time I even didn't get charge 5cents when I received txt from Indonesia. It's a much better price than using my T-mobile postpaid cell.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5
    Phones
    samsung 301g deactivated
    motorola c139
    Carrier
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    For this to work, you first have to find out from your friend in Scotland what e-mail address can be used to send e-mail to their phone (if any). This may be something like in the format of <cell number>@xxx.<provider>.com.

    If they give you such e-mail address, depending on the underlying carrier of your tracfone (tracfone GSM phones use T-Mobile and at&t mainly) there is a number you can use to send e-mails. In the case of at&t that number is 36245 (Tmobile I think is 500 but I'm not sure).

    One way to find out what carrier your phone is on, is to check on your phone menu, go to "Prepaid" and look for the "SIM serial number". If the first 6 digits are 890141 then you are on at&t, 890126 means T-mobile.

    Let's assume you are on at&t: To make things more practical, create a phonebook entry (like you'd do for any other contact in your phone) for name="Email", number="36245". Let's assume your friend uses T-Mobile UK and his number is 1234567890 therefore the e-mail address they gave you was 1234567890@t-mobile.uk.net. Now you can create a text message with this text in it: (start with the e-mail address your friend gave you and leave an SPACE after that):
    Quote:
    1234567890@t-mobile.uk.net Hi, it's me using this SMS to email thing. All ok? Bye
    and send it to the contact "Email" you just created.

    the e-mail address people can send messages TO your phone is:
    if your tracfone is on at&t <your number>@txt.att.net
    if your tracfone is on T-mobile: <Yournumber>@tmomail.net
    But they won't need that if they can send SMS directly to your phone. They can still use it to send messages to you from a PC though.

    Since typing the e-mail address everytime is annoying and time consuming, try to create a SMS template in your phone with that email already included in it so you just add the message after that. Check your phone manual on how to do it (if possible, I don't know). Or save an SMS on your phone with just the email on it and use it to create others from it every time.

    Hope this helps.

    Reply With Quote
    Thanks for your infor on the how to. I did this, I found out my friend's provider and sent a txt this way: number (without international or country code)@voda.co.za and left a space and continued my text in the message body. I set up the contact as Name:Email (using letters? Email?) and number: 500 (my phone has a SIM that indicated indicated Tmobile)
    and i sent it.

    Have I done this correctly? I have not heard back so i am uncertain if I did this correctly. Thanks again,
    Carlah...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Super Blue NoVA
    Posts
    2,052
    Phones
    Nokia 2600,6010,3585i
    LG Optimus L9,iPhone 3GS & 4S,Palm Pixi Plus
    Samsung SGH-A437,SCH-i730,SGH-T419
    Carrier
    GoPhonex3 PagePlusx2 TMo2Go Tracfone Ptel
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by carlah
    Thanks for your infor on the how to. I did this, I found out my friend's provider and sent a txt this way: number (without international or country code)@voda.co.za and left a space and continued my text in the message body. I set up the contact as Name:Email (using letters? Email?) and number: 500 (my phone has a SIM that indicated indicated Tmobile)
    and i sent it.

    Have I done this correctly? I have not heard back so i am uncertain if I did this correctly. Thanks again,
    Carlah...
    It seems that you have. I just tried sending to 500 with my TMobile-based tracfone C139 and it worked. The strange thing (which I didn't expect) is that to the receipient the SMS looks like coming from yournumber@mmst5.tracfone.com However any reply either to this tracfone email or to yournumber@tmomail.net works and in all cases it didn't take more than few seconds for the messages to arrive.

    I'd suggest to confirm first that yourfriendnumber@voda.co.za sends the message to your friend's phone first by sending some tests e-mail from a regular e-mail account and confirming that they receive those in their phone. Also, they have to find out how to send and reply to e-mails from their phone too.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5
    Phones
    samsung 301g deactivated
    motorola c139
    Carrier
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    It is unlikely that my friend in Scotland will be able to figure out the email process from his phone- i mean he is a total Luddite - :-) But i believe he can still just SMS me with a regular text to my phone number. I have been able to receive; just not send internationally.

    Thanks for your help, I will have to IM him and see if he received them or not. That will be the confirmation...
    thanks again,
    C.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5
    Phones
    samsung 301g deactivated
    motorola c139
    Carrier
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Update: I was only able to RECEIVE texts from my friend in scotland, i was not able to ever send any to him no matter what I tried. So, I reactivated my motorola c139 with a new sim card that tracfone that they sent me. I am now able to SEND texts to my friend in scotland.

    So, the question is why am i able to send texts internationally to my friend with the motorola C139 but not able to send texts to scotland with the new samsung 301g I bought?

    I want to upgrade to a nicer phone, one with a few more functions than the motorola,
    Does anyone know of a better tracfone that i can get that i will be able to SEND texts to my friend in scotland?

    thanks,





    Quote Originally Posted by carlah
    It is unlikely that my friend in Scotland will be able to figure out the email process from his phone- i mean he is a total Luddite - :-) But i believe he can still just SMS me with a regular text to my phone number. I have been able to receive; just not send internationally.

    Thanks for your help, I will have to IM him and see if he received them or not. That will be the confirmation...
    thanks again,
    C.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks