Thread: Samsung SYNC "IMS Settings" option - affects talk/standby time?

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Samsung SYNC "IMS Settings" option - affects talk/standby time?

What specifically happens if I set service to "off" under the IMS settings option?

I asked the AT&T store rep this morning about my low battery life on my new SYNC (26 hours after a full charge and only about 10 minutes of actual phone calls and I was down a bar on the battery already. Yes, I am in a 3G area). The store rep went in under setttings and turned "off" the IMS Service option under Connectivity, IMS Settings, Service. Looks like I can still send and receive MMS, so I am not sure what the IMS service "on" option does versus being "off" - except perhaps drain the battery faster?
    Last edited by tkrandall; 12-05-2007 at 12:11 PM.

Phones
    Google Nexus 5
    Google Nexus 5
    Google Nexus 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    IMS does nothing to drain batter faster. IMS is that APN for the Video Share server. It doesn't do anything in paticular about using anything until it's activated.
    - yeah, don't listen to that guy!

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    the rep said "on" maintained an open data connection and therfore used more battery life. The SYNC user manual does not mention the IMS settings options (I think it might have been added via a software update), but the A737 and A747 manuals do. The 747 manual says it is mainly for video share. Both manuals mention turning service off will save "minutes", which I interpret to mean standby time.

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My phone was set to AT&T MMS instead of AT&T IMS (I had apparantly accidently changed it when exploring the menus last week.) I wonder if that had any effect on my connection and standby time. The other SYNCs in my plan had Service On and AT&T IMS selected (i.e. their default setting).

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    As noted above I reverted back to Service On and AT&T IMS in the options (the default it came with) and my battery standby time seems to have improved.